The Top Video Trends of 2017
What You Need to Know About the Three Biggest Video Trends for 2017.
Using the latest technology, agents and retailers can easily present a potential new apartment to a remote customer, demonstrate a new software feature in real time or introduce an entirely new product to mass audiences. Videos are essential for good content marketing when you need to convey visuals or explain a complex process.
Since the advent of YouTube, video has become increasingly important. In 2017, new exciting formats for communicating with customers or friends will help to promote an increase in video play rates. We want to take a look at three of the most exciting video trends developing right now. We’ll show you what opportunities they offer and what to look out for when producing your own videos.
1. Live Videos
Live videos offer many possible applications and can be easily embedded within any content marketing strategy. The ability to communicate directly with the audience and respond to their needs is helping to create new video formats and expand existing ones. Tutorials or product presentations can be supplemented with some further engaging options. In addition, the immediacy and exclusivity of live events generates its own unique advertising and promotional resonance.
• Live consultation hours
Not just for doctors, regular consultation hours are a popular way to help people. Any company could use live video to provide their clients with real-time appointments or to answer questions. With a regularly scheduled question-and-answer hour, urgent inquiries can be quickly addressed, allowing you to establish a closer relationship with your customers. Google collaborator John Mueller and his Google Webmaster Hangouts are a good example of how to use this feature.
• Product presentations
The glamorous showcases that Apple delivers year after year using live videos can also offer the same significant advantages to smaller companies. This format lends itself to the presentation of new products — especially those that appeal to the eyes and ears in equal measure. This is a technique that works especially well for travel destinations and real estate. The live component accommodates direct inquiries, helping companies gain a better understanding of the evolving needs of their customers.
Tutorials are a great way to help customers learn more about products they have purchased. This tactic also provides companies with a means to deal with any subsequent problems. In a live tutorial, companies can demonstrate appealing features of their products or services and answer any questions which may arise.
Though live webinars are not new, they are also likely to be a popular means of content marketing this year. Webinars offer an opportunity to contact new users as well as give companies the chance to increase brand awareness and to position themselves as experts in their field. To capture attention among the webinar clutter, you will need an interesting topic and the careful advance planning of a strong advertising strategy.
What to look out for:
• Choose the right platform for your target group. You will never reach every user simply because you have a presence on every platform. Select the appropriate channel for your target group. There are many diverse possibilities from Facebook to GoToMeeting.
• Live video works without the need for complex technology. You don’t need a fully-equipped video studio to make a successful live video. In fact, authenticity and charisma are often far more important than quality. Decide how professional your footage needs to be based on the target group you want to reach.
• Live videos will reach your users in real-time, so there is no margin for error. You must prepare well if you plan to communicate with your target group via live video. In the worst-case scenario, unpleasant questions or an embarrassing lack of knowledge can have potentially disastrous consequences, so try to prepare for all eventualities.
2. 360-Degree Videos
Videos in 360-degree view offer unusual viewing angles that are fascinating. At the same time, it gives viewers the opportunity to decide just what they want to see and where they wish to focus their attention. This format is not only impressive but also helpful since it permits the user to enter a detailed and accessible world. Properly deployed, companies can use 360-degree video to present consumers with entertaining content or helpful information. Spherical videos are particularly suitable for:
• Introducing special products
The ability to view something from every angle is ideal for presenting complex products. These immersive videos offer a great deal of information as well as a means of engaging with the product more directly. Travel operators can show destinations or hotel rooms, and leisure and outdoor products, such as skis or mountain bikes, can get close up on special details.
Such extraordinary insights not only make video clips very entertaining but the viewer also engages more deeply with the video content because of the perception of enhanced interaction, which ideally creates a stronger bond with the brand. By appealing to the viewer’s playful instincts in this way, marketing departments are drawing more attention to their product as the 360-degree trailer for “The Jungle Book” movie clearly demonstrates.
• Reports, Documentaries and Exclusive Insights
Giving the viewer access to hidden, secret or hard-to-reach places is already an outstandingly successful technique used in movies, TV shows and photography. The success of the documentary series “Planet Earth” clearly demonstrates the interest that exclusive insights can arouse when content is presented in an appealing manner.
Filming 360-degree videos opens up the possibility to design content in new, eye-catching ways that can inspire the viewer. Large corporations, such as Facebook with its 360-degree live video channel, have long understood the power of this strategy. Now smaller companies, such as Tim’s Moonshine Distillery (LINK) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZif8u6psFA in Virginia, can employ 360-degree optics to similarly enhance their reports and create documentaries. After all, every company has its own stories to tell, which will be of particular interest to their respective target group.
What to look out for:
• Exceptional ideas or impressive settings. Videos feature 360-degree views can be used to create an impact, so you need an engaging context or an idea that is well-matched to the format.
• Exploit the 360-degree concept. Shooting a normal video with a 360-degree camera makes little sense and is unlikely to succeed. Anyone who produces a 360-degree video should commit to the advantages this format offers. The viewer must be able to discover something interesting from every angle, so remember to deploy some interesting features that will readily capture attention.
3. Snackable Social Media Content
With channels, such as Snapchat or Instagram, constantly expanding their functionality, video communication is constantly evolving across social media. Whether it’s Instagram Stories or Snapchat Groupchats, many platforms are now offering features that allow users to be addressed in new ways, and clever marketers are now using these channels to implement creative ideas. Moving-image apps offer great potential as “snackable content” that is short and easy to consume. These newer platforms can be a real addition to any content strategy that you are currently using on established social media channels, such as Facebook and YouTube, which offer a broad reach. Each platform offers different possibilities for a variety of snackable content formats:
• Storytelling: Even if it was a 2016 buzzword (and actually always has been), a good story to tell won’t become boring in 2017. Platforms, such as Snapchat or Instagram, provide many storytelling functions and present opportunities to develop new target groups. Using short video clips to tell stories could be one of this year’s great trending themes. In the past, the New Zealand Transport Agency provided a successful example of this, using the technique for clarification purposes rather than as a direct marketing strategy.
• Tutorials: Short video tutorials have great potential if they are done well. How-to instructions or short recipes in video form, like those on Tasty, inform and entertain the visitor at the same time. Such clips exploit a viewer’s short attention span when faced with huge volumes of content. They also tend to be published in social network news feeds, making them more likely to achieve viral success.
• Viral Fun Videos: For several years now, companies have enjoyed repeated marketing success with short fun clips on various platforms. Gatorade secured a viral hit by using Snapchat to literally soak people in its product. Short videos that entertain the user and stimulate shares is becoming an important content marketing format.
What to look out for:
• Content and design that suits the platform. Each channel has its own specific features and user groups. Reaching users depends on your ability to adapt the length, format and content of video footage to each platform. Snackable videos on Facebook should generally aim to be effective even without sound, and it’s best to use vertically filmed video clips for mobile platforms, such as Snapchat.
• Creativity and interactivity. With snackable video content – short videos with viral characteristics – creativity is the decisive factor. It is even more important than quality. Straightforward platforms, such as Instagram or Snapchat, lend themselves to the creation of short clips that rely upon a simple yet clever idea. The now defunct Vine platform had some interesting examples of this process at work. If the makers of such clever clips can also include their users and interactively shape their video content, as in the above Gatorade example, the chances of marketing success are enormously increased.
Video Trends 2017: Video Plays are Increasing
Videos are becoming more important, and this trend will continue to spread during 2017. A host of different platforms and the continued emergence of new formats offer great opportunities and plenty of room for trials and experiments. Live videos, 360-degree movies and snackable video content are just three exciting formats that will be vying for attention in the coming months. For marketing departments, video content will continue to be an exciting area to exploit and should become an integral part of any content marketing strategy.
Join our over 53,000 customers world-wide
and use Textbroker for your Content Marketing.
Register now for free